David Warner has described Kevin Pietersen as a loss to international cricket and hopes the discarded English batsman will be snapped up by a Big Bash League franchise.
As the Australian team in Johannesburg learned more English blood had been spilt in the wash-up of a humiliating Ashes tour of Australia, Warner took no delight in hearing the news of the end of Pietersen's international career.
"I think he is (a loss to international cricket), he was their highest run-scorer, a world-class player," Warner said on Wednesday.
"But we don't know what goes on behind closed doors and in their camp, so we can't talk on their behalf.
"I know through playing with KP at Delhi (in the IPL), he likes to encourage the other guys coming through.
"His door's always open if you want to ask him a question, or if you need to work out a plan for the next game.
"He's always been helpful to me. I haven't spent 6-12 months with him in (a national side) ... so I can't speak on their behalf."
Warner said Australia was solely focused on next Wednesday's first Test against South Africa and was giving little thought to Pietersen's plight.
"As we said before the first Test against England, we didn't care what happened in their camp," he said.
"We've got no hard feelings for anyone. That series is over."
Warner was hopeful Pietersen, now a free agent likely to spend his time circling the world, would choose the BBL ahead of South Africa's Twenty20 competition which is held at the same time.
"He's from here, he might want to come back here and spend a couple of weeks here. Who knows? But I'm pretty sure the BBL teams will be looking for he and Jacques Kallis next year," he said.