View Comments
Shark sightings at Busselton Jetty
Shark sightings at Busselton Jetty

Busselton beaches are still closed after two reported sightings of a four-metre shark near the Busselton Jetty.

Department of Fisheries acting regional manager Michael Burgess confirmed there was a second sighting of a large shark about 600m offshore on Thursday at 2.10pm.

“A tourist from South Australia, who knew nothing about Wednesday’s sighting, saw a shark about 4m in length near the sand bar at the bend of the jetty,” he said.

“Clearly there are sharks feeding in the area, and the department are monitoring it.”

On Wednesday afternoon, a group of crab fishers were about 200m offshore on the jetty when they saw a shark attempt to take their net while it was being retrieved.

Jason Jones, who was visiting from Esperence, told the Times he was sure the shark had been a great white.

“It came right up to the jetty and we saw its head come out of the water, it must have been over 10 foot long,” Mr Jones said.

“It went off soon after and we saw its dorsal fin as it headed in towards the beach.”

Mr Burgess said he examined what had been left of the net following the incident, and believed the shark could have been about four metres.

“There were a lot of offal and fish guts in the net, so it was no wonder the shark went for it,” he said.

All shark sightings should be reported to Water Police on 9442 8600.