The South Hedland tip was engulfed by flames on Sunday afternoon after a fire which started in the wood pallet section quickly spread around the landfill facility.
A Town of Port Hedland spokeswoman said the fire, which started about 2.30pm on Sunday, was largely contained by Sunday evening.
“The fire started in the pallet section before spreading to the green waste section, and was contained in those two areas,” she said.
“Six water trucks were deployed and ran overnight at the facility.
“There is no known risk in terms of hazardous or noxious fumes from the fire … the fire did not reach the tyre section.”
The tip was closed to the public at the time the North West Telegraph went to print, and the Town of Port Hedland could not confirm when it would reopen.
Bin collection was due to continue as normal.
Police were not treating the fire as suspicious at the time of print. South Hedland police closed the road to the tip about 3pm on Sunday, moving on about 30 bystanders who had come to see the blaze.