A Chinese man has been seriously injured in a gas explosion which firefighters say was likely caused by static electricity from his clothes.

Wen Chung suffered second and third-degree burns to his face, neck and hands in the blast at his home in eastern China, the Global Times reports.

He was reportedly dressing at his home in Jiangdu when static from his clothing ignited the blast.

His nephew told the news site the explosion could be felt 300 metres away.

Chinese man Wen Chung, 78, was badly burned after static electricity from his clothes ignited fumes from a gas leak at his home as he dressed in Jiangdu. Photo: Central European News

Investigators say the static electricity probably ignited gas leaking from a pipe.

Mr Wu is in a stable condition in hospital.

Mr Wu's nephew told The Global Times: "The power of the explosion was very strong. You could feel the blast within a 300-metre radius.

"Three doors fell down, and the glass in the windows broke into pieces."

Popular videos

Our Picks

Follow Us

More from The West