The governor of Manus Island has told Papua New Guinea's parliament that asylum seekers involved in last week's riot were transferred to the detention centre from Nauru, something Australian Immigration Minister Scott Morrison says is "unlikely".
Denying local villagers were involved in an attack that claimed the life of a 23-year-old Iranian asylum seeker, Manus MP Charlie Benjamin told PNG's parliament an investigation will reveal the source of the unrest.
The PNG and Australian governments have launched separate investigations into the riot amid conflicting reports of the location and nature of the February 16-17 riots that left dozens injured.
"The transferees are in their own camp and the local people have no access into that camp. The incident at the camp happened during the night and how can the local villagers go there at night to a very secure camp?" Mr Benjamin said on Friday, according to Port Moresby newspaper The Post Courier.
"We should also know that some of these transferees from Nauru involved in the burning down of a detention camp in that country before they were transferred to Manus."
Mr Morrison's office did not respond to AAP's request for comment but the minister later told 2GB radio he did not think those involved in the unrest were transferred from Nauru.
"Nauru burnt down on the 19th of July, under the previous government, into twisted wreckage and the people who were involved in that are facing charges in Nauru," Mr Morrison said.
Mr Morrison is under fire after admitting that most of the violence - including the death of Reza Berati - likely happened inside the centre, not outside as first claimed.
He defended his initial report, saying it was later qualified by conflicting accounts.
In PNG, Mr Benjamin joined Prime Minister Peter O'Neill in denying Manus locals were involved.
"The Australians must know and appreciate what we are doing and they should not be blaming us for what is happening: we did our best (to) save that camp and brought the situation under control," Mr Benjamin said.
Mr O'Neill has already denied Manus Islanders were involved.
"At no time did the good people of Manus get involved," he said last week.
He told parliament at the time gunshots fired during the incident were "warning shots".
"They were not aimed at trying to do harm to any particular person," he said.
"There are reports that one person sustained gun wounds at his buttocks, but that is yet to be confirmed and we will make that publicly known if that is the case."