View Comments
Alex Perry denies brand decline
Alex Perry at a David Jones fashion launch in February. Picture: Rob Duncan/ The West Australian

After his unceremonious dumping from David Jones last week, Alex Perry says he was already planning to leave the retail giant when his contract expired.

The department chain ended its six-year partnership with the designer on Friday citing declining sales of his eponymous brand, however reports have emerged the rift was the result of Perry making high maintenance demands of store executives.

"It is kind of humorous to me that they've said we are not renewing him; that wasn't an option," Perry said.

"I was waiting for my contract to come to its natural end, which it does at the beginning of August."

In response to David Jones' claims Perry's sales with the group have dropped by 10.3 per cent over the past three financial years, the designer said his label had "grown exponentially" in 2013 and boasted stockists in 25 countries.

The celebrated fashion star added he had been negotiating to take his brand elsewhere for six months.

“(David Jones) can’t get rid of me because my decision was a made long ago.”

Rumours are swirling Perry is close to signing with rival Myer after he sat front row at their fashion collections launch in August.