View Comments

A consumer watchdog has warned about the dangers of laundry detergent capsules after nearly 100 cases of children being poisoned.

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission said poison call centres received more than 85 calls in the past 18 months about kids' exposure to the laundry capsules.

"Children who have either ingested these laundry capsules or have been exposed to them have experienced symptoms such as severe skin irritations, coughing, drowsiness, vomiting and even temporary blindness," ACCC deputy chairwoman Delia Rickard said.

The pods contain concentrated detergent in water soluble packaging that dissolves rapidly once it comes into contact with water or moisture.

The ACCC warned they are often mistaken for toys or confectionery by children under the age of five, and their shiny, plastic packaging and bright colours appeal to kids.

"The capsules are small enough to fit in a child's hand or be taken into their mouth and can easily burst," Ms Rickard said.

Similar incidents have also occurred in other countries where the capsules are marketed.

The ACCC is working with Accord Australasia, the body representing the cosmetic, hygiene and speciality products industry, to improve the safety and packaging of these products.

Anyone who believes their child has been exposed to household chemicals should contact the Poisons Information Centre on 13 11 26.