US man wins $7m over popcorn lung
US man claimed popcorn made him ill

A US man who was diagnosed with "popcorn lung", possibly from inhaling the artificial butter smell of the microwave popcorn he regularly ate, has won a $US7.2 million ($A6.90 million) lawsuit against various food companies.

Wayne Watson's lawyer, Ken McClain, said a federal jury granted the sum on Wednesday against Gilster-Mary Lee Corp., The Kroger Co. and Dillon Companies Inc.

Watson, of Denver, developed respiratory problems in 2007.

He previously settled claims against the flavour developer FONA International Inc., formerly Flavors of North America Inc.

Watson argued the companies failed to warn consumers that inhaling the buttery aroma could put them at risk of lung injury.

KCNC-TV in Denver reports defence lawyers had argued Watson's health problems stemmed not from popcorn but from his years of working with carpet-cleaning chemicals.

The West Australian

Popular videos

Compare & Save

Change location

°

- °

Lifestyle Videos

Follow Us

More from The West