Fire engulfs Craigie house
Firefighters at the gutted Craigie house. Picture: Steve Ferrier / The West Australian.

A Craigie woman is being treated for shock after her house was gutted by fire.

Kylie Matthews said she had noticed her oven was smoking earlier this morning and claimed to have removed the fuse before leaving her Glenside Crescent home.

When she returned about noon she was confronted by the smouldering remains of her residence of 13 years.

Ms Matthews said she was "devastated" but relieved her two dogs, George and Gracie, and their seven puppies were alive.

It is understood one or more of Ms Matthews' pet cats perished in the fire.

Neighbours filled the street to watch in amazement as the house was enveloped by flames.

Duncraig fire station manager Andy Northern estimated the damage bill at $250,000.

He said the cause of the fire was unknown but the oven appeared the likely ignition point.

Ms Matthews was treated for shock by ambulance officers at the scene. She said she was on a disability pension and her insurance had expired.

The rescued dogs. Picture: Steve Ferrier/ The West Australian

The West Australian

Popular videos

Our Picks

Compare & Save

Follow Us

More from The West