CCTV footage casts doubt on Knox alibi
Doubt cast on Amanda Knox’s alibi. Picture: AP

An Italian TV program has aired CCTV footage that has cast doubt on Amanda Knox’s alibi for the night Meredith Kercher was murdered.

The footage time-stamped 20:53, November 1, 2007 - the night of the murder - shows a woman resembling Knox walking through a carpark near the house she shared with Miss Kercher.

The clothes the woman is wearing are similar to those Knox was seen in the days following the murder.

It was also suggested in the program, Quarto Grado, that that Knox and the woman in the footage walk in a similar fashion.

The investigative program proposes that Miss Kercher appears on the video two minutes before the woman resembling Knox does, walking towards her house, according to The Times.

Amanda Knox during a court appearance back in 2011. Photo: Getty Images

Knox has told the court that she had spent the night of the murder with her Italian boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito.

If the footage was proven to show Knox it would raise serious questions over the validity of her alibi, which remains central to her defence.

It is unclear why the footage has never been used in court and why it has only emerged now. The program did not disclose how it had obtained the footage.

Knox and Sollecito were jailed for 26 and 25 years for murder but acquitted on appeal in 2011 after four years behind bars.

They were then found guilty again in a shock about-turn by a Florence court in January.

Knox remains convicted of the murder and a third trial - which in Italian law will finally decide on her guilt or innocence - is under way.

Meredith Kercher allegedly died during a sex game gone wrong. Photo: AP

However Knox has refused to return from the US, despite Miss Kercher’s family calling for her to do so.

The case has been taken to Italy’s highest court, which can overturn the latest verdict or try to extradite Knox from the US.

Miss Kercher enrolled at the Universita per Stranieri in 2007 and house shared with Knox and two others.

She was found dead in her bedroom shortly after midday on November 2. She had been sexually assaulted and her throat slashed.

Knox and Sollecito were convicted in a joint trial in 2009 but were acquitted on appeal in 2011.

In March 2013 Italy’s highest criminal court overturned the acquittals and a third trial began in Florence in September.

On January 30 this year the pair were found guilty of the murder of Miss Kercher.

The court in Florence has now published the reasons behind Knox and Sollecito’s reconviction.

The court said there was DNA proof of three people at the scene: Knox, Sollecito and Ivory Coast drifter Rudy Guede, the only person in jail for the crime.

A 337-page report stated that Knox stabbed Miss Kercher to death in a fight over money.

According to the report, known as a ‘motivation’ of the sentence, Knox inflicted the fatal knife wound to Miss Kercher.

Popular videos

Compare & Save

Our Picks

Compare & Save

More from The West