The West

E-cigarette fault blamed for fire

A faulty electronic cigarette is believed to have been the spark for a fire at a South Perth apartment complex that caused $150,000 damage last night.

Firefighters responded to an emergency call just after 7pm as the blaze engulfed a ground- floor apartment at the Swan Street building.

Next-door neighbour Adrian Kwa said he raced outside when he heard a woman crying "hysterically" and immediately saw smoke.

"I tried to get the garden hose but it wasn't enough," he said.

Mr Kwa said he overheard the woman say she had been charging an electronic cigarette before the fire started. "She said she ran into the kitchen to get a bucket (of water) but by the time she got back the fire was already too big," he said.

A Department of Fire and Emergency Services spokesman confirmed the fire was started by an electrical fault.

The West Australian

Latest News From The West

WA could be hit with a domestic gas supply crunch within two years if there are delays to a processing plant at Chevron’s $45 billion Wheatstone LNG project near Onslow.

Popular videos

Our Picks

Follow Us

More from The West