UPDATE 1.25pm: Firefighters could not stop a home being gutted by flames in Spearwood this morning.
Four crews battled a blaze which started at 9.15am near the corner of Bramston Street and Hamilton Road and threatened to spread to a nearby house.
The fire was brought under control by 10am, but firefighters continued working on the property to ensure there were no flare-ups.
It caused an estimated $500,000 damage.
Department of Fire and Emergency Services spokesman Allen Gale said a woman, her baby and her grandfather were inside when passers-by knocked on the door and told them the house was on fire.
“The grandad had just arrived at the house to walk the dog and his daughter was home with her little baby,” he said.
“Passers-by saw the fire, rang 000 and knocked on the door.
“The grandad ran out and saw the fire was already in the roof.”
Paramedics treated the woman for smoke inhalation, but did not take her to hospital.
“The three occupants were fine but of course there’s an element of shock. They have to find somewhere else to sleep tonight,” Mr Gale said.
“The chaplain came down there to help them in dealing with the trauma and he stayed with them the whole time.
“The husband arrived home shortly after and he was quite upset. It’s damaged the entire home internally, but it is insured.”
A DFES spokeswoman said the fire was started by embers in a bin in the home's carport.