View Comments

The fate of a Perth-born man who has been jailed in Saudi Arabia for more than a year on alleged terrorism-related offences is set to become clearer on May 29.

Officials from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade today confirmed the next court date for Shayden Jamil Thorne, 25, who remains in a prison outside the Saudi capital Riyadh.

Social media postings by supporters suggest Mr Thorne may be sentenced on May 29, but that could not be confirmed by DFAT.

“The Australian Embassy in Riyadh is continuing to provide consular support to Shayden Thorne,” a DFAT spokesman said.

“Consular officials have requested permission to attend the next hearing on May 29.”

DFAT said it had sought to assist the man, whose legal representation had been provided by Saudi authorities.

“Our embassy has made at least 50 representations to Saudi authorities in relation to Shayden’s detention, including seeking access to him and information about his situation, supporting his right to due legal process, including that his case is handled in a timely manner, and seeking improvement in his prison conditions.”

Mr Thorne’s younger brother Junaid, 23, is also in Saudi Arabia and is wanted for questioning by local officials.

He is believed to be attempting to meet local officials on Saturday to clarify his legal position.

“We are also assisting Shayden’s brother, Mohammad Junaid Thorne, whose Australian passport is being held by Saudi authorities,” DFAT said.

“Junaid is not detained and efforts are underway to clarify his situation and assist him.”

The men’s mother, who lives in the Perth suburb of Thornlie, maintains authorities found terrorist material on a laptop that her elder son had borrowed.

She raised his case in the media earlier this month after becoming frustrated with the lack of progress.

Fundraising events have been since been staged in Perth to help with legal fees.