View Comments
Baby drowning scare
The West Australian

A Perth mother has caused a major retailer to remove a baby bath seat from its shelves after she took to social media warning that her son nearly drowned using it.

But the seat will not be recalled after the manufacturer tested it and found nothing wrong with it.

Monique Fletcher said she was bathing six-month-old Jaden in a Safety 1st swivel bath seat last week when suction cups on the bottom of the seat released and he started floating upwards and backwards.

Ms Fletcher pushed the seat back down and held it in place with her arm but Jaden slipped and became trapped in the seat, face down under the water, and she could not get the suction cups to release.

"I ended up using my left hand to try and twist his face around to get his nose up and above the water line," Ms Fletcher said.

Ms Fletcher said that she grabbed two safety pulls but the suction cups still did not release.

She said she did not pull the plug because her bath took a long time to drain.

"It scared the absolute living daylights out of me. It's just dangerous," she said.

"The size of that leg hole is too large, they need to remake it smaller and put some grip."

Ms Fletcher posted the story of her ordeal, which she said lasted two minutes, on the Safety 1st Facebook page and was contacted by the product's manufacturer Dorel Australia.

Dorel asked her to send them the seat so they could investigate.

She also posted her story on the Facebook page of Big W, where she bought the seat, prompting the retailer to take the product off the shelves until the investigation was done.

A spokesman for Dorel Australia said all reports of incidents involving its products were taken very seriously.

He said the returned seat was tested and worked correctly and safely.

A Big W spokesman said the company had not received any similar complaints and would decide on the product's future after it formally received the test results from Dorel.