View Comments
Baby dies after car crashes into house
Nate Troy Dunbar. Supplied picture

A woman has been charged over the crash in Merriwa early this morning in which an eight-month-old baby died when a car smashed into the bedroom in which he was sleeping.

A woman driving a Hilux ute crashed into the house on the quiet cul-de-sac of Tug Cove about 2.30am.

Police say the vehicle travelled over a median strip on Hester Avenue and crashed through the back wooden fence of the house before ploughing into the brick wall of the house and into the bedroom where Nate Troy Dunbar was sleeping.

Police said emergency services tried desperately to save the child but the little boy died at the scene.

In a statement this afternoon, police said major crash investigators had charged a 35-year-old woman from Quinns Rock.

The woman, who is alleged to be the driver of the vehicle, was charged with dangerous driving occasioning death.

She is due to appear in Joondalup Magistrates Court on Monday.

Police said further charges may be laid.

Neighbours on the quiet cul-de-sac rushed outside after hearing the crash to find a scene of horror.

“We were actually fully asleep and we heard the squeal of brakes and this almighty bang,” one resident, who asked not to be named, said.

“It was just totally, … (the father) was on the phone to the ambulance saying ‘I’m family, I’m family’, just terrible,” the resident said.

The scene of a crash where a 4WD went through the rear of a house of Hester Avenue in Merriwa, killing a sleeping baby Nate. Picture: Lee Griffith/The West Australian

The baby's room was destroyed by the impact of the crash.

The driver was taken to Joondalup Heath Campus as a precaution.

Police investigate the crash in Hester St, Merriwa. Picture: Lee Griffith/The West Australian

The family of little Nate thanked emergency services for trying to save their little boy and spoken of their grief.

Stephen Clarke, Nate’s grandfather, read a statement: "Obviously for the Clarke and Dunbar families this is a very distressing time,” Mr Clarke said.

"Particularly in light of what has happened with the Dunbar family over the last few years with other relatives who have deceased."

“This morning we are trying to overcome the loss of little Nate Troy Dunbar who is my grandson, eight months old.

“I would also like to take this opportunity to thank the emergency services in particular the police and ambulance for all their help this morning and for the media for your sympathy.

“From this point on we would like the due process to go through and hopefully we will make some sense out of this tragedy.”

Friends and family, visibly upset, arrived at the brick and tile home earlier this morning to offer their support to the Dunbars.