Premier Colin Barnett says the federal Government must press Indonesia to regulate its drinks market, after the death of a teen who drank a methanol-laced cocktail while on holiday.
Liam Davies, 19, died from methanol poisoning after drinking at Rudy’s Pub in Lombok on New Year’s Eve.
Mr Davies died on Sunday after his family decided to turn of his life support, with doctors saying his brain was too damaged to expect any recovery.
A coronial inquiry has been launched, with investigators expected to look into how a vodka drink - said to have been poured from labelled bottles - came to kill him.
Foreign Minister Bob Carr had promised Australia would make “serious representations” to Indonesia about regulating its drinks market in tourist areas.
Mr Barnett said today the only thing the State Government could do was support the federal Government in a push to improve standards in Indonesia.
“It is a responsibility of the Australian Government to pursue this diplomatically with the Indonesian authorities,” he said.
“We do have a direct interest as a nation, given that Australia is probably the major source of international visitors to Bali.”
Mr Barnett said his message to West Australians who loved to travel to Bali was to take care and only consume pre-bottled drinks.
“Any tourist travelling anywhere, but particularly to developing nations like Indonesia, need to take particular care,” he said.
“Countries such as Indonesia, and Bali in particular, don’t have the sort of rules and regulations and inspections of food and beverage outlets that we have in Australia.”