A Chinese worker at a lithium plant owned by West Australian-based miner Galaxy Resources has died after being injured during maintenance at the factory.
In a statement to the Australian Securities Exchange on Tuesday, Galaxy said that the employee at the Jiangsu Lithium Carbonate Plant in China’s east had died from injuries suffered on November 22 when a blocked fibreglass pipe ruptured in the sodium sulphate crystallisation area.
“The company is deeply saddened by this news and extend our deepest sympathy and condolences to the family of our dear colleague in Jiangsu,” Galaxy managing director Iggy Tan said.
“The company and staff are doing everything possible to help the family members at this time.”
Other employees and contractors were injured in the incident but are in a stable condition and recovering in Suzhou and Shanghai hospitals.
“Galaxy has mobilised its resources to assist our injured colleagues and their families, including the provision of expert medical care and counselling,” the company said.
Galaxy had previously announced that heated sodium sulphate solution spilled onto “a number of employees and contractors” who sustained second degree burns.
The company, which operates the Mt Cattlin mine near Ravensthorpe in WA’s far south, has launched its own investigation into the incident.
Iain Cameron and his four-year old daughter Payton are the human face of WA’s economic downturn.