Mercanti bail bid on hold
Notorious Perth bikie Troy Mercanti. Picture: The West Australian.

Notorious bikie Troy Mercanti's bid to be rereleased on bail has been put on hold to allow for further forensic inquiries after he was put back behind bars last week over allegations of a positive drug test.

Mr Mercanti appeared via video link from Hakea Prison in the Perth District Court this morning where his lawyer Shane Brennan applied for his bail application to be adjourned.

Mr Mercanti's home detention bail was revoked last week after he allegedly gave a positive urinalysis test which indicated a level of methamphetamine above the accepted standard.

Outside court, Mr Brennan said they still intended to reapply for bail.

"At the moment, we're furthering forensic and other inquiries and as soon as they are complete, we shall relist the matter for hearing for bail," he said.

"At this moment, I'm very confident."

Mr Mercanti spent nine months in custody on charges of assaulting his former partner, Tammy Kingdon, before being released from jail nearly seven weeks ago after being granted home detention bail by the Supreme Court.

At an appearance last week, Mr Brennan told the court Mr Mercanti had not deliberately ingested any narcotics and stated he would be "stupid" to do so.

Mr Mercanti is next scheduled to face court by video link on November 30 for a trial listing hearing.

Mr Brennan said they would not apply for bail at that appearance but "we can apply at any time either before then or after".

The West Australian

Popular videos

Our Picks

Follow Us

More from The West