Man charged over ATM raids
An ATM was blown up at Gwelup shopping centre. Picture: John Mokrzycki/WA News

UPDATE 5.10pm: A 23-year-old Yangebup man has been charged in relation to a series of automatic teller machine explosions across Perth earlier this year.

Police will allege the man was involved in seven ATM explosions between July 12 and August 16.

The first ATM targeted was in Riverton on July 12.

The first ATM was targeted in Riverton on July 12. Four days later, machines at Secret Harbour and Willetton were blown up.

ATMs in Success, Hillarys and Canning Vale were exploded in the early hours of July 23, and another ATM was hit on August 16 in Gwelup.

It will be alleged the man and at least one other accomplice used a gas type substance to attempt to remove the machines from their fixtures.

Operation Devaron, comprising of officers from the regional investigations unit, major crime and south east metropolitan district crime was formed in August to find the culprits.

The 23-year-old has been charged with four counts of aggravated burglary (cause explosion), four counts of stealing, three counts of causing an explosion likely to damage property and three counts of steal motor vehicle.

Inspector Bill Munnee said police believed at least two people were involved in the attacks and detectives were still looking for a second man.

"It is very important to us to bring this to a successful conclusion and we’re appealing to witnesses who have any information to contact us," Insp Munnee said.

The man will appear in Perth Magistrate’s Court tomorrow.

The West Australian

Popular videos

Compare & Save

Our Picks

Compare & Save

Follow Us

More from The West