The West

Party boy realised too late the big mistake
Police move in on partygoers at Piara Waters.

It was the party that almost did not happen. Four hours before hundreds of teenagers descended on WA's worst out-of-control party, the two teenage boys organising the event realised they were severely underprepared.

The hype had started a week earlier when one of the hosts, George Peppas, held a belated 17th birthday party.

Unlike last Saturday's event in Piara Waters, that celebration was months in the planning.

Named after the movie Project X, "Project Peppas" was advertised on Facebook with the revellers advised to contact George on a mobile number he bought for the party.

The movie focuses on three teenage boys who aim to make a name for themselves by throwing an unforgettable party.

Closer to George's event, those deemed undesirable received a message saying the party had been cancelled. Those who won George's tick of approval were told to keep the party's details secret.

"Demand for this party was high," George said.

He claims about 600 people attended the party at a friend's property in Canning Vale.

It had approval from his friend's mother, who helped organise the details.

He admits there was violence - his best friend had to be taken to hospital after an altercation - but all involved walked away with only minor injuries. George claims police attended but everyone dispersed when they were told to.

On that same night, Brady Robinson, 18, and another teenager were meant to hold a party of their own. However, they agreed to delay the event for a week with George promising to help "attract people".

The day after Project Peppas, Brady posted on his Facebook wall. He tagged George and another boy saying they should have a "combined party" and 116 people liked the post.

Brady commented: "George wanted to have a combined one with me, I felt honoured :)."

The boys created a closed Facebook group shortly after and began electronically inviting people they wanted to attend.

With nearly 5000 Facebook friends and almost as many subscribers, George went to work adding people to the event.

"Without me the party wouldn't have happened," he said.

On September 11, Brady tagged George in another post on his Facebook wall. That post received 168 likes with friends commenting about how this party would "go off" like Project Peppas the previous Saturday.

The boys say they released the party's Piara Waters address to revellers on the Friday night. They would not disclose how many people they invited but indicated it was well over 1000.

They say the location - a vacant industrial shed and block in the southern suburb of Piara Waters - had been scouted out by a friend.

"There was graffiti all over it so we thought we were in the clear," Brady said.

About 3pm on Saturday, George finished a soccer game and contacted Brady about the event. Panic set in. A DJ and key details such as security had not been organised.

They cobbled together some of the elements but neither boy could shake the feeling they had possibly made a mistake by advertising the party to so many people.

They said they had a "bad gut feeling" about how the next few hours were going to unfold.

Teenagers planning to attend began posting on Facebook about how the night was going to get "cray", meaning crazy, and where they intended to go to pre-load on alcohol.

George said the party, coined Project Peppas II, was cancelled about 8pm, a statement contrary to his Facebook page. He advised people to contact Brady, saying he was the actual organiser.

When the boys arrived at the property, it was too late. Hordes of already intoxicated teenagers were travelling from all over Perth by any means possible to attend.

They were greeted with a shed without lights and working power outlets but were not dissuaded.

It was BYO alcohol, with beers and pre-mixed spirits seemingly the drinks of choice for the mainly underage crowd.

A DJ friend connected equipment to an unknown power source and started pumping music loud enough to attract the attention of nearby residents.

According to the boys, about a quarter of the people rolling into the property were strangers and this set off alarm bells.

Before police arrived at 9pm to assess their response, the pair claim they had "baled" or left.

When officers arrived things took a nasty turn. Boozed-up teens used bricks, bottles and anything they could get their hands on to attack police.

A 19-year-old Canning Vale man was stabbed in an altercation as he tried to collect his younger brother.

The ambulance that arrived to treat him was attacked, its side window smashed.

As police tried to move on revellers, neighbours said a stream of drunk teenagers climbed through a fence, ending up on their street. The windows of two cars were smashed, letterboxes damaged and some Astroturf torn up.

More than 70 officers with dogs and horses and the airwing spent four hours bringing the party under control.

The next morning, after a bobcat hired by the council took away pile after pile of rubbish, a sobering sight remained.

Bongs, pill packets, condoms, handbags, clothing, shoes, cans, wine and pre-mixed casks as well as what seemed like a million shards of glass lay scattered.

Police have charged 12 people, including George and Brady, for offences that night. Both hosts will face court next month accused of trespass.

For the property's owner, that charge only scratches the surface of punishment he feels the pair should be dealt.

He was unaware of the party until contacted on Monday, having returned to Perth from an overseas business trip at 11.55pm on Saturday.

Though the boys are still basking in the notoriety, it seems lessons were learnt. Asked if they planned to host another party, they said: "No."

They would not disclose how many people they invited but indicated it was well over 1000. "

The West Australian

Latest News From The West

Australian deputy David Warner has backed Shaun Marsh to be his Test opening partner ahead of the series opener against South Africa in Perth next week.

Popular videos