A policeman, injured by protesters, is helped by colleagues in central Sydney. Picture: Reuters

UPDATE 11.10am: Six men have been charged over violent protests in Sydney over an anti-Islamic film.

The demonstrators had marched from Town Hall to Martin Place on Saturday afternoon before confronting police outside the US consulate.

Some protesters allegedly threw glass bottles and other missiles at police, forcing officers to use capsicum spray during a melee that led to six police and 17 others being injured.

RELATED: Top cop outraged by beheading sign

Seven men and one male juvenile were arrested, with six men so far charged with offences including assaulting police and animal cruelty.

A 29-year-old man remains in custody and is expected to appear in Parramatta Local Court today, charged with affray and breaching bail.

The other five have been granted bail and will face court next month.

A 24-year-old man has been charged with having an offensive weapon in a public place and is expected to appear in Downing Centre Local Court on October 8.

Three men, aged 23, 40 and 43, have been charged with resisting police and is due to appear in Downing Centre Local Court on October 15.

A 38-year-old man will face the same court on October 16, charged with committing an act of animal cruelty.

A seventh man is awaiting charging, while a 15-year-old youth has been issued with a caution for offensive behaviour.

Two injured officers from the Australian Federal Police and a NSW Police officer have been released from St Vincent's Hospital.

Prime Minister Julia Gillard said the violence had no place in Australia.

"I absolutely condemn the violence that we saw yesterday," Ms Gillard told reporters in Brisbane where she addressed the Queensland ALP State conference.

She said the anti-Islam film, which was made in the US, was "truly repulsive" but "there is never any excuse for violent behaviour".

"To anybody who wants to replicate that behaviour today, I just want to say very strongly that this kind of conduct has no place on the streets of our country," the prime minister said.

Footage of the clashes showed a young child carrying a placard calling for people to be beheaded.

"I do not want to see in the hands of anyone, particularly children, offensive signs that call for the killing of others," Ms Gillard said.

"This is not the Australian way."

Ms Gillard appeared unlikely to act on Opposition Leader Tony Abbott's call for Australia to revoke the visa of visiting British Muslim leader Taji Mustafa.

Mr Mustafa is the star attraction at Muslim organisation Hizb ut-Tahrir's annual conference at Bankstown in Sydney today.

Ms Gillard warned Australia had tight laws on people who urge violence, and very tight laws on people who incite terrorism, but didn't say she would act against Mr Mustafa.

"The organisation that he has come to visit is not a proscribed terrorist organisation, not here in Australia, not here in the United States, not in the United Kingdom, and was not under the Howard government," she said.

NSW Premier Barry O'Farrell said he was not familiar with Mr Mustafa.

"What I do know is that federal authorities in the past have sought to deny visas to people who are prepared to travel the world and come to Australia, to preach bigotry, to preach hatred," he told Sky News.

"We don't need them in this country.

"We don't want to import into this country the problems we see elsewhere."

The film, Innocence of Muslims, has been condemned by governments across the world, including the White House.

NSW Opposition Leader John Robertson said the violent protests were "completely unacceptable" and those involved were "not reflective of the views and attitudes of the mainstream Australian Muslim community".

"While I respect that people have the right to protest, it should never involve violence like we saw yesterday," he said.

"There can be no justification for the violence we saw on the streets of Sydney, and in particular the behaviour directed at our police officers.

"The people of NSW will rightly expect those responsible for the violence and attacks on our police to face the full force of the law."

Sydney woman Asme Fahmi said she felt her worst fears had come true while walking in the city on Saturday.

"I am sick of these ill-informed, reactionary people hijacking Islam. This reaction is an insult to the Prophet Mohammed and they just played into the hands of the filmmakers," she told AAP.

Ms Fahmi said she understood heavy-handed police tactics were used in the protest.

"The majority of hard-working, good, honest Muslims are now going to suffer as a result of the actions of a few."

The West Australian

Popular videos

Compare & Save

Our Picks

Compare & Save

Follow Us

More from The West