A man is in hospital after trying to light a firecracker wedged in his buttocks.
According to the NT News, the man was at a party in Rapid Creek, Darwin on Saturday night when he attempted the stunt.
He suffered serious injuries to his backside, back and genitals.
Senior Sergeant Garry Smith said: "It appears that a party was in full progress when a young male decided to place a firework between the cheeks of his bottom and light it."
"What must have seemed to be a great idea at the time has obviously backfired and resulted in the male receiving quite severe and painful burns to his cheeks, back and private bits."
"Apparently they're not designed for that particular placement."
Northern Territory Police say they receive complaints about fireworks every second day.
There is a $282 fine for letting off fireworks in the Northern Territory outside of Territory Day.
In other states, there are on the spot fines thousands of dollars, depending on the state, and courts can impose jail terms and higher penalties for the sale and purchase of fireworks without a valid licence.