A former boyscout who allegedly posed as a police officer to gain entry to the Perth Watch House has appeared in court.
Christopher Peter Michael Bergroth, 18, appeared in the Perth Magistrate’s Court this morning
on 49 charges stemming from the alleged security breach last month. He did not plead to the charges.
Mr Bergroth is facing 14 charges of impersonating a public officer, 14 charges of unauthorized possession of police clothing and two charge of gaining benefit by fraud.
He is also facing charges of stealing, burglary, trespass and one charge of attempting to pervert the course of justice, a charge which would have to be heard in the District Court.
Police will allege Mr Bergroth donned a police uniform and accessed several police buildings, including the Perth Watch House and Curtin House and headquarters last month.
It also alleged he stole police clothing from police headquarters in early May and a police swipe card from an unlocked police vehicle. He is alleged to have used the card to get into the watch house on May 31.
In court this morning, Mr Bergroth’s lawyer, Michael Clarke, requested the case be adjourned for four weeks to negotiate with police.
He said while Mr Bergroth’s bail included conditions preventing him from contacting any witnesses, his client was assisting police with their inquiries.
“Obviously, this is a very unusual and complicated case from a legal perspective, so it’s going to take a little while for me to look at what’s being put forward and to also discuss matters with the police and get it into a format where we can move forward,” Mr Clarke said, outside court.
Mr Clarke told reporters Mr Bergroth was eager to have the matters dealt with as quickly as possible and hoped the matters could be settled.
“That’s certainly what the aim is at present,” he said.
Mr Clarke said the seriousness of the charges were not lost on his client.
“Obviously with all of the attention that this is getting, he’s very quickly realising that it’s a whole lot more serious than perhaps he first realised,” Mr Clarke said.
Mr Clarke told the court this morning a family member had come from New South Wales to support to Mr Bergroth.
“He’s got good support there...so I think that’s a very positive thing,” he said outside court.
Mr Bergroth declined to comment to the media when leaving court this morning.
His bail, which includes conditions for him to report to police three times a week, was renewed for him to reappear in court on July 18.
A severe weather warning has been issued for southern parts of the State, with winds up to 125km/h predicted to sweep through during tomorrow.