Network Ten newsreader Craig Smart is the latest high profile departure from the embattled network’s Perth bureau.
Just two weeks after he appeared at the network’s 2013 Perth program launch, Ten has announced the 5pm news bulletin presenter would be leaving his position.
“As a result of the changes in Ten’s news and operations division, Craig Smart is leaving the company,” a Network Ten spokesperson said.
“Craig is a highly regarded and respected news presenter, and has been a key part of the Ten team.
“Craig leaves Ten with our best wishes and sincere thanks for his significant contribution to the company.”
The former ABC weekend news presenter, who joined Ten last year, told The West Australian he would leave his position at the end of the month but wouldn’t comment any further.
Narelda Jacobs will continue to host the 5pm bulletin.
While there has been no word yet where Smart will go next, he seems unlikely to return to the ABC.
“Craig left ABC News two years ago. I was sad to hear today’s news and wish him all the best. Our presentation roles are filled,” said ABC Perth news director Kim Jordan.
Last month, Ten announced plans to cut 100 journalist, camera and producer positions, about one-third of its national news staff.
On Friday, Melbourne newsreader Helen Kapalos was told her contract would not be renewed while Sydney sports reporter Paul CochraneÖ, reporter Gabrielle Boyle and health editor Sheryl Taylor are also reportedly leaving the network.
Perth news stalwart Adrian Beattie left Channel Seven last week to take up the director of news position at Network Ten after Chris Hunt parted company with the network last month.
Earlier today, Ten axed its national Ten Morning News and low ratings show Breakfast, with production to cease on both shows on November 30.
A spokesperson from Ten said production on the two programs will cease on November 30, but also added that it would return to the breakfast TV genre sometime next year.