Australian Grammy winner Gotye blitzed sales across the globe in 2012, only beaten by Carly Rae Jepsen.
Figures released on Tuesday by the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI), which represents 1400 record companies around the world, shows the Australian musician's single Somebody That I Used To Know sold 11.8 million copies last year, pipped at the post by Jepsen's Call Me Maybe, which shifted 12.5 million copies.
YouTube sensation Psy sold 9.7 million copies of his Gangnam Style single.
Oscar winner Adele is on top of the world after it was revealed her album 21 was the biggest seller for the second year in a row - the first time that has been achieved by any artist.
The Someone Like You singer sold 8.3 million copies of the album - three million more than the next best-seller and going some way to help the music industry record an increase in revenue for the first time since 1999.
Taylor Swift's Red was the next best-selling album for the year, selling 5.2 million copies, while One Direction's global appeal was also reflected in the figures which show the boy band, put together on the X Factor in 2010, sold almost nine million albums.
Their debut Up All Night sold 4.5 million, while its follow-up Take Me Home has racked up sales of 4.4 million.
The IFPI report shows revenues rose by around 0.3 per cent to $US16.5 billion ($16.12 billion) in 2012 with digital sales accounting for around a third of the revenue.
"It is hard to remember a year for the recording industry that has begun with such a palpable buzz in the air," chief executive Frances Moore said.
"These are hard-won successes for an industry that has innovated, battled and transformed itself over a decade. They show how the music industry has adapted to the internet world, learned how to meet the needs of consumers and monetised the digital marketplace."
Worldwide Single Sales for 2012, according to the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry:
1. Carly Rae Jepsen, Call Me Maybe - 12.5m
2. Gotye, Somebody That I Used To Know - 11.8m
3. Psy, Gangnam Style - 9.7m
4. fun., We Are Young - 9.6m
5. Maroon 5, Payphone - 9.1m
6. Michel Telo, Ai Se Eu Te Pego - 7.2m
7. Nicki Minaj, Starships - 7.2m
8. Maroon 5, One More Night - 6.9m
9. Flo Rida, Whistle - 6.6m
10. Flo Rida, Wild Ones - 6.5m
Worldwide Album Sales for 2012:
1. Adele, 21 - 8.3m
2. Taylor Swift, Red - 5.2m
3. One Direction, Up All Night - 4.5m
4. One Direction, Take Me Home - 4.4m
5. Lana Del Rey, Born To Die - 3.4m
6. Pink, The Truth About Love - 2.6m
7. Rod Stewart, Rod Stewart - 2.6m
8. Rihanna, Unapologetic - 2.3m
9. Mumford & Sons, Babel - 2.3m
10. Maroon 5, Overexposed - 2.2m