The West

Clean Newton breaks silence
Matthew Newton. Picture: Getty Images

Matthew Newton will break his silence on 60 Minutes on Sunday, which he says is the first time he has been interviewed without being on medication.

“This is the first time I have really spoken to anyone not on some medication of some kind,” Newton told interviewer Liz Hayes.

Hayes responded by asking: “This is your first clean interview?”

“I guess you would call it that. I am unmedicated,” Newton said.

The former Underbelly star, who is the son of showbusiness legends Bert and Patti Newton, also told Hayes his decision to speak out was not because of any pre-meditated agenda.

“I haven’t come with an agenda. I have come with an agenda before,” he said.

The interview also marks the first time Newton has spoken out since a string of public meltdowns.

He was arrested in the US in April last year after he allegedly punched a hotel clerk in the face but the case was later in November dropped after terms were agreed for his apology and community service.

Charges in Australia of punching a taxi driver in December 2011 were also dropped in September last year after a Sydney judge said he was satisfied Newton suffered from a number of mental illnesses.

The West Australian

Popular videos