Nigel Gallop says the Margaret River Wine Show will reap the full rewards of this year’s inaugural Gourmet Escape festival in 2013.
The Margaret River Wine Industry Association president told the Times it was hoped the wine show would precede this year’s festival event, but their grand plan fell through.
“This year we didn’t have the time to adjust, as we tend to plan and arrange the show a year ahead,” he said.
“But next year the wine show will be much more in sync with the Gourmet Escape.”
Mr Gallop said arrangements had already been made to ensure the wine show would lead into the foodie festival next year, which would give them a shot at attracting international judges and guests to the show and its satellite events.
Despite being scheduled after Gourmet Escape this year from November 27 to 29, Mr Gallop said this year’s show had benefitted from the inaugural festival.
“We already have a stellar line up of judges, including Steven Spurrier, who’s somewhat a star in his own right and had movies made about his exploits in France and California,” he said.
Mr Gallop also said Hong Kongbased Master of Wine Lisa Perotti- Brown was lured to a role on the judging panel because of her involvement in this year’s Gourmet Escape.
Although he expected next year’s event to benefit from more ties with the Gourmet Escape, Mr Gallop didn’t expect it to improve the status of the wine show.
“The show is already highly regarded nationally and overseas because of its level of organisation and we have been able to attract quality chairmen and judges,” he said.
“It’s not like we could go from a little- known show that no one has ever heard of to something more recognisable.”
MRWIA chief executive Nick Power told the Times more than 111 exhibitors had signed up to showcase their wine and 715 entered wines would be judged at this year’s event.