Security must be at the centre of the National Broadband Network as cyber-crime rises, the Australian Federal Police say.
The federal government's plan for a $43 billion network to run around the nation has started in Tasmania, but there has been little talk about security risks that might be associated with the network.
"We need to ensure the security and the resilience ... is quite strong," AFP Commander Neil Gaughan told a parliamentary committee on Wednesday.
He warned "there have been incidents in the recent past" when it comes to large Australian companies being targeted for cyber espionage.
Earlier this week the nation's biggest telco, Telstra, warned the planned broadband network was not going to fix internet access for all across the continent.
Speaking at the Telecoms World Australia conference, Telstra executive David Quilty welcomed the NBN initiative but said it would not solve all the industry's problems.
"The NBN I don't think should be seen as a cure-all in terms of the provision of telecom services or the provision of broadband in this country," he said.
"The reality is there is another significant global trend going on, and that is mobility trend."
Wireless broadband and mobile broadband were both going to continue to play a very significant part in terms of the provision of services.
A network was only as good as the services it provided, Mr Quilty said.
Under new chief David Thodey, Telstra has adopted a more conciliatory approach in its dealings with the government, especially in relation to the NBN.
But rival Optus said that while Mr Thodey might be nice to deal with, the big telco's corporate behaviour would not alter until industry regulation changed.