A seven-month-old boy allegedly assaulted by his father at their Wheatbelt home is in hospital in State care and his four siblings have been placed in emergency foster care.
The baby needed urgent surgery for serious head and facial injuries allegedly inflicted by his 39-year-old father at the family's Kellerberrin home on Monday.
The baby's mother rushed him to the local hospital after she found him limp and unresponsive when she returned home that afternoon.
His injuries were so serious he was flown that evening to Princess Margaret Hospital for surgery.
Police investigated the cause of the baby's injuries after being alerted by PMH staff on Tuesday.
Wheatbelt detectives later charged the boy's father with causing aggravated grievous bodily harm.
He was released on bail ahead of a court appearance this month but it is understood he is in hiding amid fears of reprisal attacks over the allegations.
The Department for Child Protection and Family Support has also intervened with the family after being told of the baby's injuries.
Acting director-general Emma White said the department took the injured baby and his siblings into care to ensure their safety while an assessment was done.
The boy remains in PMH in a stable condition and it is understood the department will be involved in decisions about his treatment.
It is unclear whether the injuries will have any permanent consequences.
Ms White said the children had been placed in foster care.
"The children have been placed in an emergency foster placement while relative carer options are assessed," she said.
The boy has a twin brother and it is not known if he or the other children were at the house at the time of the alleged assault.
The father is expected to face Merredin Magistrate's Court on August 19.
'The children have been placed in an emergency foster placement.' " Child protection acting director- general *Emma White *