Netball centre on fire
Netball centre on fire

A construction site fire caused significant damage at the State Netball Centre.

The blaze began at 4.50am on the roof of the centre at Jolimont and 20 firefighters were called to the scene.

Department of Fire and Emergency Services personnel from Daglish, Osborne Park, Claremont and Perth brought the blaze under control.

DFES Perth district officer Andy Hinton said the fire caused an estimated one million dollars and was believed to be caused by an electrical fault.

"We are pretty certain it was an electrical fault. There is evidence of the fire scene being in the vicinity of electrical lighting equipment," he said.

A security guard alerted authorities to the blaze just after 4.30 this morning.

"I was on hourly patrol and I saw sparks inside the structure," the security officer said.

"When I went close I saw flames at the top of the building and smoke all around so I called the fire brigade."

Fire crews took about an hour to bring the blaze under control and were still on scene at 7am.

Police road blocks were in place on Selby Street for several hours as firefighters attended the scene. The road was re-opened just before 7am.

The DFES cherrypicker unit was brought in to mop up the damage to the roof of the complex.

The West Australian

Popular videos

Our Picks

Follow Us

More from The West