Campaign highlights carbon monoxide dangers
Mauro and Sally Vischi suffered carbon monoxide poisoning. Picture: Lincoln Baker

Two years ago Sally and Mauro Vischi and their two children Lucas and Ella were struck with carbon monoxide poisoning.

"It was really traumatic. We all had really high heart rates, then my husband, my daughter and I collapsed," Mrs Vischi said.

At first the family thought they had been struck by food poisoning, then a neighbour advised them to check the gas levels and they realised they had alarmingly high carbon monoxide concentrations in their home.

"We were rushed to hospital. We were given three sessions of three hours each in a hyperbaric chamber," she said.

The State Government today launched a campaign urging people to check their domestic gas appliances in a bid to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.

Speaking this morning at the Vischi family home in Jandakot, Commerce Minister Michael Mischin said a lot of people weren't aware of the potentially deadly effects of excessive carbon monoxide.

"Even a small amount of carbon monoxide can cause illness and injury, while high levels of exposure can lead to unconsciousness, coma and death," he said.

"With the majority of West Australians having at least one domestic gas appliance in their homes, it is vital residents make sure they are checked and serviced regularly by a licensed gas fitter, particularly if they are older or have been used for some time."

He said there had been no recorded deaths in WA due to carbon monoxide poisoning for at least the past decade, but three people had died in Victoria from the condition since 2010.

EnergySafety recommends all gas appliances should be serviced every two years and if the appliance is more than 10 years old, it should be checked annually.

For more information about the For Safety's Sake campaign or about gas appliance safety visit www.commerce.wa.gov.energysafety/gas-appliances or call 6251 1900.

The West Australian

Popular videos

Compare & Save

Our Picks

Compare & Save

More from The West