The father of an 11-month-old girl who died after being found in a gas-filled home yesterday has been released from police custody.
Lai Chun "Calvin" Fung and his daughter were discovered by the child's mother Si Yen Yong when she returned to their Harrisdale home yesterday.
Ms Yong drove her unconscious daughter to a Canning Vale gym seeking help
Despite desperate attempts by gym patrons and paramedics, the toddler could not be revived.
Homicide detectives questioned Mr Fung but released him without charge today.
It is believed the baby did not have any visible injuries and tests will be done to see if the fumes killed her.
A post mortem examination will be conducted next week.
A gym patron yesterday described how he tried to help the baby's hysterical mother when she sped into the carpark at the 24-hour gym and yelled for help.
"She said 'the baby's dead . . . help me, help me, take me to the hospital'," Ryan Shreeve said. "I knew just looking at the baby, it wasn't a good sign."
He called triple-0 and kept the operator on the line as he checked for a pulse or breathing. Another gym patron helped him try to revive the baby in the back seat of the car.
In those harrowing minutes, bystanders tried to comfort Ms Yong as she screamed and talked to her lifeless child, Mr Shreeve said.
"She then said in broken English that her husband was in the house, I asked her what happened and she said she smelt gas," he said. "She said her husband was on the floor, 'my husband dead, too, help me, help me'."
After getting the woman's address, he called police.
Authorities found the woman's husband unconscious and rushed him to hospital.
Neighbours who went outside after hearing sirens said there was a strong smell of gas in the street.
Mr Shreeve, a father of five, described the incident as horrific. "It's tragic, she was a beautiful little angel, her face is etched in my head," he said.
EnergySafety has been alerted but are waiting for police advice before investigating.
Ms Yong was staying with friends yesterday.