The Government knew that notorious sex offender TJD was giving an interview that aired on Channel 9 on Tuesday night but was powerless to stop it, Corrective Services Minister Joe Francis has told Parliament.
The issue flared after Mr Francis told radio 6PR the interview was tasteless and revealed he had sought legal advice on whether it breached TJD's release condition that he not contact his 13 victims.
Attorney-General Michael Mischin revealed on Tuesday night that the interview did not breach reporting conditions but what he said during the broadcast would be analysed.
TJD apologised to his victims in the interview but Victims of Crime Commissioner Jennifer Hoffman told a budget estimates committee there was a question over whether the offender was "enjoying his notoriety".
In question time, shadow corrective services minister Paul Papalia asked Mr Francis why the Government had not prevented the interview airing if it knew about it beforehand. He also queried why the Government had not warned TJD's victims about it.
Mr Francis said the Department of Corrective Services learnt of the interview and told Premier Colin Barnett's office, but State Solicitors Office advice indicated the Government could not prevent it.
Mr Francis said all of TJD's victims had opted out of DCS' victims notification register and it would have been improper to contact them about the offender.
A woman who contacted _The West Australian _ yesterday describing herself as a family member of one of TJD's victims said she was distressed a radio station in the South West had been airing excerpts from the interview.
"There must be some other way to report on these things," she said.
"To quote some rapist saying, 'Oh, Perth women, I only raped a heap of you and I'm not going to do it any more' is just foul."
The woman, who did not want to be named, predicted TJD continuing to grant interviews would promote vigilantism.