The RSPCA is calling for witnesses to come forward after a spate of animal poisonings.
There have been more than 40 reports of animals being baited over the past six months.
Two dogs that were poisoned with snail pellets in the yard of a Singleton home on Monday.
Justin Wishart had returned to his Eucalypt Close home when he noticed his eight-year-old staffy-heeler cross Diesel was unwell.
The family’s two-year-old Jack Russell-Maltese cross Ratchet was also in distress.
"Ratchet was in a bad way, shaking, he was having trouble breathing, he was drowning on his own phlegm," Mr Wishart said.
"My eldest son Tyler and me just sat with the dogs, rubbing their tummies."
The diesel mechanic discovered hundreds of small blue pellets, believed to be snail bait, littered along his side fence.
Mr Wishart said he was able to scoop up enough pellets to fill a plastic shopping bag.
The family was advised to euthanise the animals because there was no chance of recovery.
Today the RSPCA received another report of a dog being poisoned in a Roleystone home.
The owners’ other dog died from poisoning just four weeks earlier.
In the past six months alone, RSPCA has investigated 29 cases of dogs being poisoned, seven cases of cat poisonings and five poisonings of birds and wildlife.
“Poisoning animals can lead to a slow and agonising death.
“It is a specific offence under the Animal Welfare Act and if a person is caught and prosecuted for this offence, they can face a penalty of up to $50,000 and five years in prison,” Chief Inspector Amanda Swift said.
“In order for RSPCA to prosecute we are calling on anyone who has any information or has witnessed any suspicious behaviour, to urgently call the RSPCA on their cruelty hotline 1300 CRUELTY,” she said.
If you suspect your pet has been poisoned take it to the nearest veterinary clinic immediately.