Man burnt in gas blast
Firefighters at the scene of the explosion last night. Picture: Ben Crabtree/The West Australian

A man has third-degree burns to his arms and head after a gas explosion in Hamersley last night.

A Department of Fire and Emergency Services spokesman said the man had been dismantling a gas cylinder in his Bedelia Way garage when there was a sudden rush of gas and it ignited.

"It sounded like a bomb went off and the windows shook," Owen Place resident Louise said.

Bedelia Way's Therese White rushed outside to see flames above the rooftops and her neighbour, whom she knows only as Dan, with skin peeling off his arms.

"We got him to strip off and get into the shower to look after the burns," Ms White said. "He was more concerned about his wife, who was in shock."

St John Ambulance took the man to Royal Perth Hospital, where he was in a stable condition last night.

The damage bill was estimated at $200,000, with two cars, a shed and several rooms of the home destroyed. The fire is not being treated as suspicious.

A caravan fire in High Wycombe last night caused $100,000 damage.

Fire crews from Midland and Welshpool responded to an emergency call about 7pm and had the blaze under control in 20 minutes.

The West Australian

Popular videos

Compare & Save

Our Picks

Compare & Save

Follow Us

More from The West