The West

Meat smoker sparks $15,000 fire
Meat smoker sparks $15,000 fire

A Beeliar man’s excessive use of methylated spirits to smoke homemade biltong was blamed for a garage fire that caused $15,000 damage.

Firefighters were called to a Gecko Terrace property about 1pm when a camper trailer caught fire in the garage.

It was sparked when the sawdust and methylated spirits the owner was using to cold-smoke the meat ignited.

“He’s used excessive methylated spirits in the sawdust which he had burning at the bottom of the tray,” a Department of Fire and Emergency Services spokesman said.

“He had a fan situated at the top to draw the smoke out. The whole thing has flashed and caught alight and so has the camper trailer parked alongside.”

Firefighters quickly brought the flames under control but not before the man’s camper trailer and fridge sustained considerable damage.

The West Australian

Latest News From The West

Despite setting a world record at the weekend, Russian adventurer Fedor Konyukhov had just one thing on his mind yesterday — sleep.

Plenty of training is being put in for the Avon Descent, including at Bells Rapids, left, as paddlers prepare for the 124km event on August 6 and 7.

Popular videos

Our Picks

Follow Us

More from The West