Pressure is mounting on former treasurer Troy Buswell to explain the events that led to his downfall when he returns to parliament this week.

Mr Buswell quit cabinet last month following revelations he had a mental breakdown after late night car crashes while driving home from a wedding reception on February 23.

He was last week fined $3100 and disqualified from driving for one year over 11 traffic offences committed on the journey, during which he crashed into four parked cars and a telephone pole.

Despite a witness telling police he had seen Mr Buswell barely able to stand as he entered his Subiaco property, he was not questioned on the night or later charged with drink driving.

Mr Buswell, who remains the MP for Vasse, is expected to return to parliament on Tuesday.

Opposition treasury spokesman Ben Wyatt said he should not be treated with kid gloves.

"There certainly are a lot of questions that need to be answered about the hours leading up to him running into a number of cars in Subiaco," Mr Wyatt told Fairfax radio on Monday.

He said many people were surprised Mr Buswell had not spoken with police about the drink driving claim.

"And I note that the premier says he's perfectly entitled to the right to silence like any citizen, but I think anyone would expect a higher standard from their elected members."

Mr Wyatt suggested Police Minister Liza Harvey had been too soft when asked about Mr Buswell.

Ms Harvey told ABC radio on Monday that the now-backbencher "just needs some space to recover".

"We would do that with any other human being," she said.

"And I don't understand why people are determined to keep sticking the boots into Troy Buswell.

"When we know that he's healthy, we'll have the conversation then.

"I'm not saying don't question things that occurred, but let's do that at an appropriate time when he's healthy."


Popular videos

Our Picks

Follow Us

More from The West