Cockburn Council is set to vote on the future of WA's first Eco Shark Barrier next month after it was removed from Coogee Beach today.
The brainchild of 43-year-old Kingsley man Craig Moss, the barrier was installed in December and pulled out of the water this afternoon, four days before its permit expires.
Cockburn Council will consider a proposal to retain the barrier at next month's council meeting.
It has received rave reviews from the public and Cockburn mayor Logan Howlett.
The City of Cockburn surveyed beachgoers in January and found the overwhelming majority supported the barrier and felt safer swimming at the beach.
Nearly 70 per cent of respondents said they chose to visit Coogee because of the enclosure.
Mr Howlett said the council had been swamped with positive feedback from the community since it was installed.
"This trial is still under way, so we will be able to fully assess the impact when it is concluded," he said.
Mr Moss, who works full-time as a stonemason and has invested $750,000 in the barrier, said the trial had gone off without a hitch.
"It hasn't pulled apart and it hasn't caught any marine life, which was the whole point of the barrier," he said.
"I'm at the beach all the time, and every day I'm there I speak to people.
"I've seen school buses from all over the metropolitan area bringing school kids here to do swimming lessons.
"There are people coming from all over - from Toodyay to Quinns Rock - because they feel safer with the barrier."
Cockburn engineering and work director Michael Littleton said the Council would vote on the barrier on May 8.
"The City's officers are currently compiling a report to Council on the outcome of the Eco Shark Barrier trial that ends this month," he said.
"A recommendation on the proposal will be made to council at the May general council meeting.
"The City cannot comment further on the proposal until a decision is made by Council."