The West

A South Korean prosecutor says four more crew members from a sunken ferry have been detained on allegations of failing to protect passengers.

Senior prosecutor Ahn Sang-don said on Monday that two first mates, one second mate and a chief engineer are also accused of abandoning the ship.

Ahn says prosecutors are considering whether to ask a court for a formal arrest warrant that would allow for a longer period of investigation. South Koreans can only be detained for 48-hours without a court-issued formal arrest warrant.

Confusion on bridge

The ferry’s captain and two other crew members were previously arrested on suspicion of negligence and abandoning people in need.

Sixty-four bodies have been recovered, and about 240 people are still missing.

The West Australian

Latest News From The West

Brunch. It’s probably the most universally used portmanteau word in modern language (although motel and Brexit would give it a run for its money). The term brunch has been around since the late …

A 130-year-old West Perth home built by Edith Cowan — the woman on the $50 note and the first woman elected to an Australian Parliament — has been saved from demolition.

Popular videos