The youngest member of a teenage group who allegedly attacked guests at a riverside wedding at the weekend had been released from detention just nine days earlier, a court has been told.
The 14-year-old appeared in Perth Children's Court yesterday, charged with grievous bodily harm and criminal damage, after shocking scenes at Point Walter Reserve on Saturday night.
His lawyer claimed the youngster was so appalled by the images of the violence shown to him by police that he now wanted to help catch the rest of the gang.
Padbury couple Bevan and Stacey had their big day ruined when dozens of youths turned violent after one of their group was refused a cigarette by a guest.
The young groom had to lock his bride inside the kitchen of the function centre to protect her, as scores of teens punched, kicked and stamped on guests caught outside, according to police.
Rocks were allegedly hurled at the Walters River Cafe, causing thousands of dollars damage, and the groom and several guests needed medical treatment.
Applying for bail for the youth, lawyer Stephen Gabriel said the boy was away from the main trouble area but ran back in to help his friends who were also involved.
Mr Gabriel said the youngster had been plied with alcohol before the alleged mob attack but had co-operated with police afterwards.
"He has seen photographs of himself kicking the complainant - and he is appalled and embarrassed," Mr Gabriel said.
Magistrate Stephen Vose said he would not consider releasing the boy because he was already on a supervision order when the attack occurred.
He had been released from detention on a Youth Community Based Order late last month, and will now appear in court again on April 23.
A 16-year-old boy has been charged with causing criminal damage and will appear in court this week. Three 15-year-old boys have been charged with criminal damage, and acts or omissions causing bodily harm or damage, and will appear in the Fremantle Children's Court later this month.