A charge against a teenage father over the death of his baby boy in Bunbury Hospital has been upgraded to murder.
The 15-year-old, who appeared in the Perth Children’s Court this afternoon on a video link from Banksia Hill detention centre, indicated he understood the charge before the case was adjourned for four weeks.
Prosecutor Sean Stocks said the charge had been upgraded from grievous bodily harm to murder after police received the results of a post-mortem on the newborn.
The baby sustained critical injuries on February 15 and was taken off life support about a week after the alleged incident.
Relatives of the teenager attended court this afternoon and expressed concern about the 15-year-old’s welfare.
One of the teenager’s older sisters said her brother was confused and stressed.
“I have been going out to visit him regularly at Banksia Hill,” she said.
“I have been trying to talk to him about it. He is just confused, he is shattered. We all are.
“We had a chance to meet our nephew. He was a beautiful baby boy.”
The boy’s older brother said he wanted answers about his sibling’s case.
The boy was remanded in custody to appear before Children’s Court president Judge Denis Reynolds on April 29.