Guilty of manslaughter over shooting death
Police search a Nollamara house. Picture: Guy Magowan/The West Australian

A former couple have been found guilty of manslaughter but acquitted of murder in a Perth shooting-death trial.

Paolo Nunzio Stagno and Danielle Kovac were on trial in the Supreme Court, charged over the shooting death of 38-year-old Mite Naumovski in Nollamara on September 25, 2011.

The State had argued that a disagreement over a drug debt Stagno allegedly owed Mr Naumovski had sparked hostility between the pair, and that at one point Mr Naumovski suggested to Stagno he was having a sexual relationship with his girlfriend, Kovac.

The prosecution claimed that on the day of his death, Mr Naumovski was lured to the Nollamara house by Kovac before being repeatedly shot inside the house by Stagno who had been allegedly hiding in a bedroom.

“This was a trap intentionally set up and sprung,” the prosecutor had said at the beginning of the trial.

Stagno’s barrister Laurie Levy had argued his client acted in self-defence, pointing out Mr Naumovski came to the house that day wearing a balaclava and armed with a weapon and had hacked at the front door.

Barrister Philip Urquhart, representing Kovac, had told the jury the incident occurred against a backdrop of “drug taking, threats… and acts of vengeance and retribution” and that rather than being “lured” to the home for a “cuddle” with Kovac, Mr Naumovski had “intended to have at the very least a violent confrontation” when he headed to the home.

This afternoon the jury panel rejected the charges of murder but found the accused pair guilty of the lesser charge of manslaughter.

The West Australian

Popular videos

Compare & Save

Our Picks

Compare & Save

More from The West