The West

Fly on the wall Corby report to go ahead

Channel 7 will go ahead with its story on Schapelle Corby's release from jail despite last week's Australian Federal Police raids.

But the story, to be aired at the weekend on its Sunday Night show, will not include an interview with the convicted drug smuggler.

SCHAPELLE CORBY - FULL COVERAGE

Executive producer Mark Llewellyn said last night neither Corby, nor her family, nor a third party would be paid for the story.

"In this case, pictures speak louder than words," Llewellyn said.

It was a "fly on the wall" look at the first few days of her release and gave an insight into her state of mind "which will astound".

The network has repeatedly shot down rumours of a seven-figure deal for an interview and the AFP indicated it would move to seize any payment to her. Indonesian authorities also warned an interview would jeopardise her parole.

Llewellyn said Corby was not interviewed "because she cannot do an interview". But her family went ahead with the program without payment to try to put an end to the media frenzy around them.

"Here's the deal: there is no deal," Llewellyn said. "No money has been paid to any of the family or any third party. In part, the reason they are doing it is because they are living life in a fishbowl."

He said so many people were writing about them and Corby's sister Mercedes had been unable until now to give their point of view.

They wanted to put a stop to the paparazzi and the "constant, prurient gaze" by showing people what their life had been like.

He said Schapelle Corby would not be interviewed but the program would have a raw, emotional, unpaid talk with her sister, who would cover tough issues such as the drugs, her sister's mental decline and her prospects for recovery.

The West Australian

Latest News From The West

The victim of the Carlisle siege is suing the estate of the man who took her hostage at knife-point in a bid to get compensation for the permanent injuries she suffered during the deadly police …

Qantas and the operators of Perth Airport are poised to strike a deal within days to allow the first non-stop flights from Australia to Europe through the airline’s domestic terminal.

The children of Perth’s most recent fatal shark attack victim have broken their silence to reveal they want people to be put first to stop other families suffering the pain inflicted on their …

Popular videos

Our Picks

Follow Us

More from The West