Australia’s film and television industry awards night belonged to Baz Luhrmann, whose glitzy flapper extravaganza the Great Gatsby cleaned up at the AACTA awards tonight.
Gatsby took out best film, best direction and best adapted screenplay, with Leonardo DiCaprio winning best lead actor for his role as Jay Gatsby, at the awards ceremony.
Joel Edgerton, who played Gatsby’s buddy Tom Buchanan, and Elizabeth Debicki as Jordan Baker also took out the gongs for best supporting actor and actress.
Luhrmann has previously had limited success with his work at Australian industry awards - his last win was for Strictly Ballroom in 1992 - and said he was thrilled to be recognised by his country.
“It doesn’t happen to me that often, this kind of thing," Luhrmann said.
“You have no idea what it is like to be acknowledged in your country, thank you, thank you, thank you.”
All up, Luhrmann’s film won 13 AACTA awards, including six of the eight on offer on Thursday night.
In the TV awards, Claudia Karvan won best lead actress for her role as Caroline the controlling wife in Time of Our Lives.
Gritty inner-Sydney drama Redfern Now won best drama series and the foodies beat the singers and dancers with Masterchef: The Professionals taking out best reality series.
Nine’s Power Games: The Packer-Murdoch Story about the battle for the control of Australia’s media, won two awards including best lead actor for Lachy Hulme and best direction for Geoff Bennett.
Josh Thomas' ABC series Please Like Me was named best comedy.
AACTA FILM AND TELEVISION AWARDS:
AACTA RAYMOND LONGFORD AWARD
- Jacki Weaver
DOCO AACTA AWARD FOR BEST FEATURE LENGTH DOCUMENTARY
- RED OBSESSION Warwick Ross
FEATURE FILM AACTA AWARD FOR BEST FILM
- THE GREAT GATSBY Baz Luhrmann, Catherine Martin, Douglas Wick, Lucy Fisher and Catherine Knapman
AACTA AWARD FOR BEST DIRECTION
- THE GREAT GATSBY Baz Luhrmann
AACTA AWARD FOR BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
- THE ROCKET Kim Mordaunt
AACTA AWARD FOR BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
- THE GREAT GATSBY Baz Luhrmann and Craig Pearce
AACTA AWARD FOR BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
- THE GREAT GATSBY Simon Duggan
AACTA AWARD FOR BEST EDITING
- THE GREAT GATSBY Matt Villa
AACTA AWARD FOR BEST SOUND
- THE GREAT GATSBY Wayne Pashley
AACTA AWARD FOR BEST ORIGINAL MUSIC SCORE PRESENTED BY APRA
THE GREAT GATSBY Craig Armstrong
AACTA AWARD FOR BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN
- THE GREAT GATSBY Catherine Martin, Karen Murphy, Ian Gracie and Beverley Dunn
AACTA AWARD FOR BEST COSTUME DESIGN
- THE GREAT GATSBY Catherine Martin, Silvana Azzi Heras, Kerry Thompson
AACTA AWARD FOR BEST LEAD ACTOR
- Leonardo DiCaprio THE GREAT GATSBY
AACTA AWARD FOR BEST LEAD ACTRESS
- Rose Byrne THE TURNING
AACTA AWARD FOR BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
- Joel Edgerton THE GREAT GATSBY
AACTA AWARD FOR BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
- Elizabeth Debicki THE GREAT GATSBY
AACTA AWARD FOR BEST TELEVISION COMEDY OR LIGHT ENTERTAINMENT SERIES
- PLEASE LIKE ME Todd Abbott (ABC2)
AACTA AWARD FOR BEST REALITY TELEVISION SERIES
- MASTERCHEF: THE PROFESSIONALS Margaret Bashfield, David McDonald, Mark Barlin and Tim Toni (Network Ten)
AWARD FOR BEST TELEVISION DRAMA SERIES
- REDFERN NOW - SERIES 2 Darren Dale and Miranda Dear (ABC1)
AACTA AWARD FOR BEST TELEFEATURE OR MINI SERIES
- TOP OF THE LAKE Emile Sherman, Iain Canning, Jane Campion and Philippa Campbell (FOXTEL - UKTV)
AACTA AWARD FOR BEST DIRECTION IN A TELEVISION DRAMA OR COMEDY
- POWER GAMES: THE PACKER-MURDOCH STORY Part 1 Geoff Bennett (Nine Network)
AACTA AWARD FOR BEST SCREENPLAY IN TELEVISION
- OFFSPRING - SEASON 4 Episode 13 Debra Oswald (Network Ten)
AACTA AWARD FOR BEST LEAD ACTOR IN A TELEVISION DRAMA
- Lachy Hulme POWER GAMES: THE PACKER-MURDOCH STORY (Nine Network)
AACTA AWARD FOR BEST LEAD ACTRESS IN A TELEVISION DRAMA
- Claudia Karvan THE TIME OF OUR LIVES (ABC1)
AACTA AWARD FOR BEST GUEST OR SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A TELEVISION DRAMA
- Luke Ford POWER GAMES: THE PACKER-MURDOCH STORY Part 2 (Nine Network)
AACTA AWARD FOR BEST GUEST OR SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A TELEVISION DRAMA
- Kat Stewart OFFSPRING - SEASON 4 Episode 9 (Network Ten)
AACTA AWARD FOR BEST PERFORMANCE IN A TELEVISION COMEDY
- Shaun Micallef SHAUN MICALLEF’S MAD AS HELL - SERIES 2 (ABC1)
AACTA AWARD FOR BEST CHILDREN’S TELEVISION SERIES
- NOWHERE BOYS Tony Ayres and Beth Frey (ABC3)
AACTA AWARD FOR BEST DIRECTION IN A TELEVISION LIGHT ENTERTAINMENT OR REALITY SERIES
HAMISH & ANDY’S GAP YEAR ASIA Episode 1: Week 1 Tim Bartley and Jo Siddiqui (Nine Network)
AACTA AWARD FOR BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY IN TELEVISION
- TOP OF THE LAKE Episode 5: The Dark Creator Adam Arkapaw (FOXTEL - UKTV)
AACTA AWARD FOR BEST SOUND IN TELEVISION
- TOP OF THE LAKE Episode 5: The Dark Creator Richard Flynn, Tony Vaccher, John Dennison, Craig Butters, Danny Longhurst and Blair Slater (FOXTEL - UKTV)
AACTA AWARD FOR BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN IN TELEVISION
- PELEDA Episode 3: The Amber Shard Nathan Jurevicius (ABC3) TOP OF THE LAKE Episode 5: The Dark Creator Fiona Crombie (FOXTEL - UKTV)
AACTA AWARD FOR BEST COSTUME DESIGN IN TELEVISION
- MISS FISHER’S MURDER MYSTERIES - SERIES 2 Episode 1: Murder Most Scandalous Marion Boyce (ABC1)