The West

Axe payroll tax, says MP
North Metropolitan MLC Peter Katsambanis.

A State Liberal MP has called for payroll tax to be abolished - but only if the GST system can be reformed to give WA a fairer share of the national consumption tax pool.

North Metropolitan MLC Peter Katsambanis yesterday described payroll tax as an "incentive-sapping, job-destroying monster" in a speech to the Young Liberals national conference in Fremantle.

"Beyond a certain arbitrary salary threshold - in WA it is currently $750,000 per year - for every new job an employer creates they are slugged with an increase in payroll tax," Mr Katsambanis said.

WA expects to collect about $3.5 billion in payroll tax out of total Budget revenue of $26 billion in 2013-14. With about 11 per cent of Australian's population, WA will receive about $2.5 billion of the $50.2 billion national GST pool this financial year.

Mr Katsambanis said if WA was getting closer to a per capita share of GST, it would have an extra $3 billion a year to spend.

He called for the GST system to be reformed so that 80 per cent of the pool was distributed on a per capita basis, with the remaining 20 per cent on a formula based on an agreement between the States to drive further tax and economic reforms.

The West Australian

Latest News From The West

The victim of the Carlisle siege is suing the estate of the man who took her hostage at knife-point in a bid to get compensation for the permanent injuries she suffered during the deadly police …

Qantas and the operators of Perth Airport are poised to strike a deal within days to allow the first non-stop flights from Australia to Europe through the airline’s domestic terminal.

Popular videos

Our Picks

Follow Us

More from The West