A teenager who raped a woman at knifepoint has been sentenced to seven years detention.
The boy, who raped the young woman during a home invasion, later told elaborate stories that he had been threatened by bikies chasing a drug debt and forced to commit the callous offences by two men who sexually assaulted him.
The 16-year-old, who committed the offences on the anniversary of his dead mother's birthday, will spend 3½ years behind bars before becoming eligible for supervised release.
Children's Court president Judge Denis Reynolds yesterday described the teenager's behaviour as shocking and appalling, saying the boy had not shown anywhere near enough remorse.
Judge Reynolds said the sentence had to send a "loud and clear" message that people, particularly young women, were entitled to feel safe in their own homes and had to be protected.
In a victim impact statement to the court, the 23-year-old woman subjected to the teenager's degrading and humiliating attack said every aspect of her life had now been shattered.
"I was convinced I would die a violent, lonely death," the woman said, describing the guilt she now felt for the emotional and financial support she required from others. "I was in terror."
The teenager, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, entered the South Fremantle home through an open window about 1.30am on September 27. He removed his shoes, trousers and underwear and armed with a 30cm-long knife from the kitchen, told the woman he would kill her if she screamed.
She eventually fled the house half naked and screaming.
The boy initially told police two Aboriginal men had raped him and then forced him to go into the house and sexually assault the occupant.
The teenager was born in South Africa. His family moved to Britain when he was five.
His mother, an alcoholic, died when he was 10.
By the time he was about 14, his father had put him in temporary foster care because he could not deal with his son's behaviour, which included a burglary to fund his cannabis habit.
The father and son moved to Australia for a fresh start, but the boy fell in with a negative crowd in Melbourne and was charged with theft, damage and providing false details to police.
They had been in Perth only one month before the attack.