The West

Burns victim collapses at police station
Cannington District Police Station was cordoned off and closed while officers investigate the circumstances around an injured man turning up and collapsing early this morning. Picture: Megan Powell/The West Australian

UPDATE 2.45pm: Police believe a 20-year-old man from East Cannington walked more than 1.5km to a police station after he was set upon by five assailants, doused with an accelerant and set on fire in the early hours of Sunday morning.

The man presented to Cannington Police Station at 4.30am, shirtless and with burns to his upper legs, chest and parts of his face. He has burns to about 40 per cent of his body, mainly his legs and stomach and abdomen areas and minor burns to his face.

The man told police he had been set upon by five male attackers, described as dark skinned, in the vicinity of Hamilton Street and Mallard Way in Cannington.

“He was still talking but in quite a bit of pain,” Acting Det-Sen. Sgt Rob Jamieson said of the man’s condition when he presented to the police station, which is south of the suspected location of the attack.

The victim is described as fair skinned, and at the time of the incident he was wearing black jeans or shorts, white sneakers and a black singlet. He was shirtless when he arrived at the police station as he had taken it off as he put out the fire.

Det-Sen. Sgt Jamieson said the main offender was described as 18-25 years old, approximately 175cm tall, shirtless and wearing black and red basketball pants.

He said the victim had a mobile phone at the time of the attack but it was not known if he tried to call anyone. None of the victims belongings were taken by his attachers.

“We believe he was walking in the street. From what I can gather he went out for an early morning or late night walk … away from his home,” Det-Sen. Sgt Jamieson said.

“At this stage he is in a critical but stable condition … in Royal Perth Hospital.”

The Cannington Police Station was closed this morning while officers investigated the attack but was reopened at 3pm.

Anyone with information is asked to call Crimestoppers on 1800 333 000.

Cannington Police Station was closed while officers investigated the attack but has since been reopened. Picture: Megan Powell/The West Australian
The West Australian

Latest News From The West

Popular videos

Our Picks

Follow Us

More from The West