Suspended jail term for thuggish attack
Suspended jail term for 'thuggish' attack

A teenager has narrowly avoided an immediate jail term for a thuggish and unprovoked attack on two men on New Year's Day last year.

Israel Jordon Charles George Loo, 19, was today handed an 18-month conditional suspended jail term over the attack near the Oats Street train station during the early hours of January 1, 2013.

Loo – who pleaded guilty to assault occasioning bodily harm and grievous bodily harm – and a 14-year-old boy assaulted the men after one of them wished the pair a Happy New Year.

One of the men’s jaw was broken and he has a permanent loss of sensation in his lips and teeth.

District Court Judge Richard Keen said Loo’s behaviour was “thuggish” and “cowardly” and people should be able to feel safe on the streets without the threat of being assaulted.

In sentencing, he noted Loo’s young age and that he had pleaded guilty at the earliest opportunity.

Defence lawyer Jim Sutherland told the court Loo “had kept his nose clean” since the offences and was now undertaking some courses.

Loo will have to complete 60 hours community service work as part of his sentence.

The West Australian

Popular videos

Compare & Save

Our Picks

Compare & Save

Follow Us

More from The West