The West

Brutal rapist, inmate in high-speed chase (The West)
Cameron John Graham at the petrol station.

UPDATE: A brutal rapist and his fellow prison inmate who escaped custody yesterday were involved in a high-speed chase with police last night.

Cameron John Graham, 22, and 23-year-old Kelden Edward Fraser were being transferred to Perth when they escaped from a security van at Geraldton Airport at 1pm.

Graham and Fraser dumped the stolen car they had been travelling in this morning and are continuing on foot.

About 8am today, police announced they found the stolen Toyota Kluger the pair had escaped in "bogged" on a track road north of Mullewa.

Brutal escapee on holiday perk

"Location given as 39km north of Mullewa on the Mullewa-Carnarvon Road," a police spokesman said.

"Then a more specific location given as Coonawa Road and Badgedong Road."

"No persons located yet but resources including police dog attending that location."

Police said this afternoon that the stolen car was found dumped about 100m near Greenough River.

"Police are concentrating their efforts in the area of the Wandana Nature Reserve, north-west of that location, where it is believed the escapees have travelled on foot," police said.

Last night the prisoners, from Geraldton's Greenough Regional Prison, were seen refuelling the car they stole yesterday.

At 8.30pm, Graham and Fraser stopped for petrol at BP Cue for the stolen silver/grey Toyota Kluger - registration 1DZG627.

They paid for the fuel and the incident was reported to police.

Kelden Edward Fraser and Cameron John Graham.

"The vehicle was spotted [about 10.30pm] and pursued on Great Northern Highway but lost sight of approximately 15km north of Mt Magnet," police said.

Police saw the car heading east on Mullewa-Mt Magnet road about 2.30am.

The car was "pursued at high speed and turned off on to Pindar Road, which is gravel, and lost sight of", police said.

The car was then seen on Mardi Springs Road.

"A chartered plane with police observers is assisting in the search this morning," police said.

"The search this morning is concentrating on the general area last sighted.

"All businesses, stations etc in the area need to be on the lookout for these persons and the vehicle.

"Also secure all vehicles on properties in the area."

Graham and Fraser escaped wearing their prison greens, but they have since changed their clothes.

Graham is now wearing an orange cap and dark T-shirt with “LA” written on the front.

Graham was sentenced to 11 years in jail in November for the brutal rape of a woman in her Beeliar home on January 15.

He sneaked into the woman’s home, raped her repeatedly and threatened to murder her children before forcing her to drive to an ATM to withdraw money.

During sentencing, Judge Christopher Stevenson said it was difficult to find words to describe the nature and gravity of Graham’s offending.

“It is difficult for a reasonable human being to comprehend the conduct you engaged in,” he said.

Prosecutor Felicity Cain said the offences had had a “catastrophic effect” on the woman and her family.

She no longer lives in Australia.

Graham, who pleaded guilty to charges including sexual penetration without consent, aggravated burglary, sexual coercion and robbery, had been released from prison three weeks earlier.

Police warn members of the public that Graham and Fraser are violent and should not be approached.

Graham is described as 170cm tall and has a dark complexion, medium build, brown eyes and short brown hair.

Fraser is 180cm tall and has a dark complexion, medium build, brown eyes and black hair.

Anyone with information about the escapees is urged to contact WA Police on 131 444.

The West Australian

Latest News From The West

Popular videos

Our Picks

Follow Us

More from The West