A man accused of breaking a police officer's nose in an unprovoked attack on Friday night had faced court a day earlier on two charges of assaulting police and escaped unpunished, the police union says.
Police Union president George Tilbury questioned deterrents for attacking police after learning that the 27-year-old man who allegedly attacked a constable in Fremantle was released without sentence on Thursday over an incident in 2005 where he injured two officers during a scuffle at a city store.
The man appeared in Perth Magistrate's Court only last week on several charges stemming from the 2005 incident, including two counts of assaulting a public officer, after breaching bail at the time.
Mr Tilbury said Magistrate Steven Malley fined the man $300 for breaching bail conditions but let him "get off with fracturing one of my member's ribs and causing lacerations and bruising to another".
"This is completely out of touch with community expectations and does not provide any deterrent to would-be offenders who think it is OK to beat up a police officer," Mr Tilbury said.
Mr Tilbury said he was angry and appalled the man allegedly assaulted another officer, the night after he was "let go unpunished by the courts".
Police claim the man punched the 37-year-old officer in the face, breaking his nose, while he was being questioned outside a South Terrace bar on Friday night.
The man was arrested and appeared briefly in court on Saturday, where he was remanded in custody until later this month.